Photo Gallery - St. Peter and St. Paul Church

The 13th-century parish church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, and forms the centre of a monastic complex used as an hospitalium by the nearby Abbey at Canons Ashby.

The Church
The Church

The Church, which is in the centre of the Conservation Area, has an important part in the history of the village. We know that the village existed before the entry in the Domesday Book of 1086 where the Lord of Merdeford was Hugh Burdet. In 1219, Sir Henry de Alneto, the Lord of the Manor, appointed the first Rector, Robert de Atteneston.

press to zoom
South Porch
South Porch

The south porch was built in 1883 as a memorial to Elizabeth Goff and it protects the original south door.

press to zoom
Chancel Window
Chancel Window

In the Chancel, there is a three-light window with hood mould. The piscine has a crocketed nodding ogee arched head and was used particularly when the Church was Catholic and is still in use today.

press to zoom
The Church
The Church

The Church, which is in the centre of the Conservation Area, has an important part in the history of the village. We know that the village existed before the entry in the Domesday Book of 1086 where the Lord of Merdeford was Hugh Burdet. In 1219, Sir Henry de Alneto, the Lord of the Manor, appointed the first Rector, Robert de Atteneston.

press to zoom
1/16

Virtual tour of the Church

The church is dated from the mid -12th century AD. The oldest part being the tower dating from between 1160 and 1250 AD. The Parish of Maidford lies in South West Northamptonshire approximately 8 miles from Daventry and 7 miles from Towcester and covers an area of approximately 1050 acres.



See also our Church at Christmas